Re: What is the best layer/device for a write-back cache based in nvram?

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:54:34 +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
>> 4- Faster synchronous writes.
> Y E S.
> This is the only point I fully aggree on. We've had severe problems with
> brain-dead software (Firefox, Dropbox) performing tons of synchronous 4K
> writes (on a bs=16K FFS) which nearly killed us until I wrote Dotcache
> (http://www.math.uni-bonn.de/people/ef/dotcache) and we set XDG_CACHE_HOME
> to point to local storage.

Nice.

We run unburden <https://github.com/xtaran/unburden-home-dir> at work
on debian desktops, cutting login-to-desktop times for nfs homes from 1
min to a few seconds...

Since your average Linux App Programmer will work from a fast local
disk, treating session-local files consistently will take a while, I
guess.

hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>