Re: A blast from the past - strange sysctl behavior

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016, Paul Goyette wrote:

Nearly a year ago, I posted [1] on the current-users list. Since that time I've been running with the attached patch, in an attempt to find out what was going on. And as is usually the case, the debug code didn't get triggered, until now - 11 months later!

I haven't had a chance to investigate in any detail, but the problem (and associated KASSERT) occurred while starting firefox. A bit more detail shows that it was installing the sysctl tree for the sysv_ipc module. However, after the reboot I was able to successfully launch firefox without triggering the KASSERT.

If anyone has any clues about how this anomaly can happen (a newly created sysctl node has a wrong parent), I'd love to hear them. I am guessing that there's some sort of locking botch in the sysctl code, however I haven't been able to spot it.

[1] https://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2015/10/27/msg028285.html

FWIW, the KASSERT() triggered right after I had updated my amd64 kernel and userland from a July 4th 7.99.33 to a Sept. 5th 7.99.36.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |