Re: RAIDframe: cooldown nnn out of range

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 10:58:00 +0200
Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:

> Upon reboot after a clean shutdown, I yesterday got
> 	raid0: cooldown 1944635974 out of range
> raidctl -s is happy. What does that message mean? Do I need to worry?

Good question.  It seems that the cooldown value is not in the 1-128
range...  (the cooldown is used to regulate the rate at which paritymap
updates get pushed onto the disk).  I'm not sure why it is that high,
or how it got that high :-(  I'm also not sure if the kernel got that
value from the paritymap on the disk or where... though I think if it
read a '0' for the cooldown from the on-disk parity map that it would
then use 'random garbage' from the newly initialized parity map if
coming through rf_paritymap_attach() :(  Fortunately, when the code
detects these 'out of range' things, it grabs a set of correct values,
and uses those going forward...

Later...

Greg Oster