Re: FWIW: sysrestrict

Le 24/07/2016 à 22:57, Joerg Sonnenberger a écrit :
On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 01:09:46PM +0200, Maxime Villard wrote:
The goal of sysrestrict (and pledge, and whatever else) is not to provide the
perfect feature that will control absolutely everything. The goal is just to
provide an additionnal, simple layer of restriction. It is a combination of
such features that can mostly reach the granularity you want. Sysrestrict for
syscalls, UNIX file permissions for VFS, kauth for kernel permissions, Veriexec
for binary permissions, etc.

Frankly, I haven't seen many use cases for pledge so far that actually
make sense. While I do see a certain sense in allowing a fully sandboxed
process hierachy, that can already be obtained to a degree with ptrace.
If you want to actually get something like this into the tree, you should
start at the beginning. What problem is it trying to solve, why is that
problem relevant and how does is it gotten solved?

It's just obvious: we don't want ftpd to call modctl, or execve (even if it
currently does), or mount, or reboot, or swapctl, etc. And it gets solved
by restricting those syscalls.

I didn't start this thread with the intention of getting anything into the
tree. As I said, it is just an idea.