Re: SOSEND_LOAN problems in MIPS

coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
>in emulating pmax with gxemul I had trouble using:
>  cat somefile | command
>
>when somefile is bigger than 4096 bytes.
>it shows no output when with a slightly smaller file, it would.
>
>using options SOSEND_NO_LOAN 'fixes' it.
>seems many MIPS configs have this option.
>
>what is a good way to figure out what is wrong?

You can find what the option does using grep(1). Use the search button
on the mailing list archives to see if anyone else has had a similar
problem.

It looks to me as if the only place that it is used is in
sys/kern/uipc_socket.c.

The behaviour that is enabled by the option is also enabled if
MULTIPROCESSOR is true so I would guess that this code path is
followed on most NetBSD systems in use today.

The mailing list archives suggest that some ports have had pmap bugs
in the past that were triggered if the SOSEND_NO_LOAN option wasn't
enabled.

It could also be that as the kernel size has grown over time the
amount of free memory on a PMAX isn't large enough. How have you
configured gxemul ?

It would probably also help to know where the file that you read
using cat was stored, was it read over NFS ?