Re: Audio - In kernel audio mixing

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 01:32:57AM +1000, Nathanial Sloss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working away at in kernel audio mixing for the past 6 weeks or so.
>
> I've made archives of two different approaches to in kernel audio mixing and
> made them available on ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/nat
>
> The first is vaudio-kern.tgz  -  This will do in-kernel audio mixing if one
> creates a vaudio device for their sound card.
> My hope is that vaudio devices will replace the standard audio devices in
> future.

But given what you wrote below, wouldn't doing so coerce all streams to
44100/16?  It seems like it might be worth the extra work to avoid resampling
when all inputs/outputs are at the same, non 44.1/16 rate.

Would this project benefit from the ability to use the floating point
unit, or vector extensions requiring the FP registers, in the kernel?

Thor