Re: Fixing Netbsd Issue:: Convert kernel printf() to aprint_*() or log()

Thanks, I am going to shift to current branch. I am double checking the autoconf code part. Am I supposed to audit only autoconf/device configuration related functions for printfs as described here http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?autoconf+9.i386+NetBSD-current ?;
All other driver functions should be using log instead of printfs as describe in project. How am I going to differentiate these driver functions from rest of the functions in kernel source code. ?

Thanks
Usama

One more thing, As I would be working on current branch, so I would have to keep updating branch each day (small conflicts are easy to resolve) to keep it from hassle of merging all at once; it will cause huge conflicts.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 01:13:50PM +0500, Usama Mehboob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie kernel hacker :) and trying to fix this issue first to get
> involved with complex tasks later.
>
> *My current NetBsd Setup:*
> VirtualBox, HDD7GB, RAM 1GB Netbsd7.0
>
> I have updated the /usr/src with latest NetBsd-release branch 7.0 using
> cvs. I have successfully rebuilt and install the kernel.
> Now I am modifying the printfs -> aprint_*() in kernel sources (There are
> thousands of them believe me :) ). Link of this project is at
> http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/aprint/ .
> I am using CVS to checkout at latest netbsd7.0 branch. is that ok or should
> I move to current branch ?.
> Secondly, I had been looking at *man aprint_*()*  and there are multiple
> types as:
>
>      *aprint_normal*()     Sends to the console unless AB_QUIET is set.  Always
>                          sends to the log.
>
>      *aprint_naive*()      Sends to the console only if AB_QUIET is set.  Never
>                          sends to the log.
>
>      *aprint_verbose*()    Sends to the console only if AB_VERBOSE is set.
>                          Always sends to the log.
>
>      *aprint_debug*()      Sends to the console and the log only if AB_DEBUG is
>                          set.
>
>      *aprint_error*()      Like *aprint_normal*(), but also keeps track of the
>                          number of times called.  This allows a subsystem to
>                          report the number of errors that occurred during a
>                          quiet or silent initialization phase.
>

> I need an advice from senior developer how to proceed on it. How to fit
> each of the abve aprints in kernel sources and send a patch to be merged.

These changes will not be suitable for the netbsd-7 branch.  Please work
on -current.

The aprint_*(9) functions are *only* suitable for use within
autoconf(9) code.  The printf(9) or log(9) functions need to be used if
it is not autoconf(9)-related.  There is existing code that abuses
aprint_*(), please fix that too.

        Jonathan Kollasch