Re: RFC: softint-based if_input

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
(snip)
>>> BTW, this proposal includes another change;
>>> move bpf_mtap to a common place, not doing it
>>> in each driver. This change is also needed by
>>> the above proposal to ensure to always run bpf
>>> in softint.
>>
>> Be careful, there are multiple BPF hooks in some drivers, e.g. the
>> WiFi stack.
>
> Hmm. Okay, I'll check all hooks...

I checked ieee80211 stack and WiFi drivers, and noticed that they
need another care as you pointed out; ieee80211_input has several
bpf_mtap hooks that cannot be moved. In order to run all bpf_mtap
(and its variants) in softint, we need another work that makes
ieee80211_input run in softint, not just making if_input run in
softint. That work is beyond this proposal, so I decided to do
softint-ifying bpf in another task later.

Thanks,
  ozaki-r