Re: Device driver attachment when using module(7)

theglass%gmail.com@localhost ("T. Glass") writes:

>So my question is: are module device drivers supposed to configure a real
>device driver instance, or are they just a method of inserting the right
>autoconf glue, before the whole autoconfiguration process take place?

Apparently that depends on the driver and gets more twists when you
consider standard UNIX devices (i.e. devsw), pseudo devices and cloning.

I don't think that there is already a common understanding how this
is "supposed" to work.

Having experienced the recent modularization of raidframe(4), I also doubt
that all the existing modular drivers actually work when loaded from the command
line (or via autoload, as is done for devsw and filesystems).

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost