Re: Freeze with BPF BIOCSFEEDBACK

On Thu 17 Dec 2015 at 17:38:33 -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> I think that we need to add extra code to be able to communicate with
> localhost, since that's special... But it is not a significant limitation...

I thought I'd found a workaround: use bpf on a tap device which is
bridged to a real device. However that doesn't seem to help, and also it
breaks external communication too. But it (klh10, I said simh
incorrectly before) still replies to ARP requests, so it does still get
to see those. Although it seems that this scenario causes confusion over
which ethernet address to use, and responds. (Changing the tap's
ethernet address to be the same as the physical interface causes no
error message from ifconfig tap0 link <ethaddr>, but doesn't work either)

Normally one would of course use a tap device in the normal fashion
(which works for 2-way communication), but I'm reorganising things and
needed to try this out.

The deeper story behind it that I want to use libpcap for packet
capture, so that I can remove crufty code for DLPI, PFLT, NIT (and
BPF).

> christos
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'