Re: I'm interested in implementing lockless fifo/lifo in the kernel

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:04:09AM -0800, Randy White wrote:
> I love NetBSD, and I would like to contribute. I see the open job for lockless queues, and stacks. I want to learn, and I want to help. I have literature on UNIX kernel development. I have many systems and I think I could fund myself for the most part. I am familiar with lockless programming.
>
> I am looking forward to working on netbsd and help maintaining its awesomeness.

Randy,

That's great.  Let me know how I can help you to get started.  It sounds
like you're already familiar with NetBSD, how and where we communicate,
etc.

BTW, we have a lockless queue in NetBSD called pcq(9).  People will
disagree whether it is the best/only lockless queue for the purpose of,
say, SMP networking. pcq(9) uses a fixed-size ring buffer, which may be
advantageous in some scenarios and a liability in others.

We are notably lacking a fast *linked* FIFO queue---i.e., one that can
take the place of struct ifqueue/IF_ENQUEUE()/IF_DEQUEUE() for mbuf
queues.

Dave

--
David Young