Re: In-kernel units for block numbers, etc ...

On Nov 29, 10:38am, Michael van Elst wrote:
} Subject: Re: In-kernel units for block numbers, etc ...
} jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost (John Nemeth) writes:
}
} >     On a side note, if the backend is just a file, why doesn't
} >vnd(4) work with NFS?
}
} A quick test shows that it works with a NFS file. I don't know
} how stable that is.

     It's documented as not working, and I know from experience
that it doesn't work, unless something has changed recently.  My
test case, at least the most recent one from memory, has to do with
Xen.  I keep ISO images on a NAS.  I often want to feed an ISO
image to Xen when setting up a new domU or upgrading one.  When
Xen is told to use a file for backing store, a script sets up a
VND and then uses that as Xen really wants a device.  It doesn't
work when the ISO device is on a NAS, I have to copy it to the
dom0.  BTW, the dom0 is running 6.1.5.  I was just poking at it,
and may need to poke at it some more to try a couple of things.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael van Elst