Re: In-kernel units for block numbers, etc ...

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 08:11:58AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> i think it should use 512 byte crypto blocks in all cases, using
> offset in DEV_BSIZE units as part of the IV, at least by default.
>
> that would at least allow data to be recovered, by default, from
> the wrong sized media.

It only helps if you copy data from say a 4k disk to a 512byte disk
and it still needs support and adjustments to the filesystem.

I'm not really convinced that such half-compatibility is useful.

For recovery you always have vnd which can simulate any geometry.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost