Re: PCI MSI for re(4)

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:

Hi,

Attached is a patch that should enable PCI MSI for pci(4)-attached re(4)
NICs.  I would like both review of the code, and additional testing.

I've tested it successfully on amd64 -current with a
8100E/8101E/8102E/8102EL chip.

Great - I can give this a quick test-drive tomorrow.  Is there anything
specific I should be looking for?  Or it is a simple Pass/Fail?  :)

A quick kernel build and a reboot - initial appearances look good.  It
attaches successfully, and I'm using the network to send this Email!

Here's the dmesg for comparison:

Before:
re0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0: RealTek 8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 0x06)
re0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17
re0: Ethernet address 30:b5:c2:05:0e:66
re0: using 256 tx descriptors
rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 1000BASE-T media interface, rev. 4

After:
re0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0: RealTek 8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 0x06)
re0: interrupting at msi0 vec 0
re0: Ethernet address 30:b5:c2:05:0e:66
re0: using 256 tx descriptors
rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 1000BASE-T media interface, rev. 4

There's not much change, only the "interrupting at" line.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure I really like the fact that the dmesg says that
re0 is "interrupting at msi0" when there is no other reference in the
dmesg to what an msi is, and there is (apparently) no man page for
msi(4) (nor for any other manual section).

Anyway, I'll leave this running for a while (overnight at least) and see
if any problems arise.

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |