Re: kernel libraries and dead code in MODULAR kernels

On August 30, 2015 11:31:54 PM EDT, Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>I believe that the exact problem exists in userland's dynamically
>linked libraries/programs, right?  If so, how do they deal with this
>dead code problem?

In userland the loader maps the library in, and if you happen to have enough adjacent dead code then that memory just doesn't get paged in.  I doubt that's an option for kernel code, and it isn't likely to work particularly well for minimizing memory usage in either case unless you take steps to sort things in some way.

Eric