Re: Choice of SAS controller

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 05:52:28PM +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
> EF> What controllers are people here using in production?
> MB> I have LSI MegaRAID devices. One MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i, and also
> MB> D[e]ll PERC (PERC 5/i) controllers, which are [OE]M LSI devices
> Thanks.
> Are you using the RAID functionality or do you operate them in JBOD mode?

raid mode

> If the former: How do you administer them?

from the controller's firmware. NetBSD is capable of reporting volume status
but can't administer volumes.

> Have you ever been throug the procedure of replacing a failed disc?

Yes; the controller detects when a new disk is plugged in and
just starts reconstrucing on it. You just have to plug a new disk,
nothing more to do.

> How stable accross controller versions is the on-disc format?

No idea, I never tried to migrate disks between controlllers.