re: Guidelines for choosing MACHINE & MACHINE_ARCH?

> > I agree that evb* is confusing and increasingly meaningless and would
> like to see us transition away from it.
>
> I contend that moving to sys/arch/<cpu> is incorrect which there are
> multiple MACHINE values for that CPU.  sys/tem/mips (haha!) or
> sys/platform/mips (yuk) or sys/arch/<cpu>sys or something better.

for older traditional ports (like m68k ones) they different
MACHINEs are less of a big deal to me.  they're actually
descriptive and tell you something useful.  "evbarm"?  that
gives me no idea beyond not being some actual particular
arm platform (like shark, or cats.)  it's not useful in any
way beyond "arm" is.  the alternative would be to have an
insane number of MACHINEs for every platform, but i think
we've already learnt that isn't the best idea (ie, while i'm
less worried about m68k, i wouldn't object to them all
becoming MACHINE=m68k either.)

the actual source location itself is less important to me,
as that isn't something the end-users really care about.
i'm really only talking about the defined MACHINE string.

.mrg.