Re: Guidelines for choosing MACHINE & MACHINE_ARCH?

On 6/24/15 7:13 AM, matthew green wrote:
David Holland writes:

I think keeping evb* for boards makes sense, though.
i dunno.

i don't see what it adds.  in particular, "evb" means evaluation
board, and there are heaps of things in evb* that are *not*
evaluation boards, but stuff that might have once been once.

i wish we'd just collapse as much as possible back to plain old
MACHINE=MACHINE_ARCH=whatever.  i just don't see any value or
validity in "evb".  is ERLITE an evaluation board?  what about
the RPI or CUBIE* systems?  they come pretty complete AFAICT,
designed as end-user systems, not what we used to consider as
being "evalation boards".

I agree that evb* is confusing and increasingly meaningless and would like to see us transition away from it.

+j