Partitioning schemes

Hi folks,

while investigating running my NetBSD system under Xen, i was struck by the
sheer number of ways to partition discs. Most are not compatible with
eachother and all have the same function, splitting up and identifying parts.

We have amongs others, MBR, GPT, disklabels, (sun-)disklabels, LVM, RAID
etc.etc. The current idea is to have wedge discovery creating wedges for each
type. Not my favorite but it usually kind of works.

Now LVM is not a holy grail, but wouldn't it be good if we had a BSD licenced
system compatible with LVM as the only frontend?

I.e. instead of having formats dictate the wedges, have LVM dictate the
(hidden) backend encoding needed for say booting? While still have all the
configurability like growing/shrinking/moving/joining etc?

With regards,
Reinoud