Re: Dropping support for old binaries

Le 08/06/2015 10:17, Brian Buhrow a écrit :
	hello.  There is a proposal around  to drop support for old NetBSD
binaries in current ersions of NetBSD.  For example, nuking COMPAT_NOMID,
COMPAT_10, COMPAT_12, COMPAT_13 COMPAT_14, etc. from the the -current
source tree.  I'll let the original poster post his reasons for this
proposal on this list, but here's my response to that proposal:

Thanks for your mail. I understand all the things you've said, and I
understand that backward compatibility can be useful.

However, we were only talking about the old compatibility options.

Do you think other people - or companies - in your case maintain
twenty-year-old binaries for products and services that are supposed
to be reliable?

This is partly what I said in my first mail: companies that need
extreme compatibility are companies that maintain critical systems,
and they cannot afford to update these frequently. You cannot expect
that level of reliability with the old compat options we have.

As I already said: people are not likely to use these old options very
frequently, and the fact that we have no generic way to test them does
not improve the situation.