Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

On 1 June 2015 at 13:50, David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> but ignoring that -- who (other than apparently the gcc development
> team) is focusing on burning ram?

GNU, this is from the GNU coding standard; to me it explains some of
the design choices I find in many GNU utilities:

"For example, Unix utilities were generally optimized to minimize
memory use; if you go for speed instead, your program will be very
different. You could keep the entire input file in memory and scan it
there instead of using stdio. Use a smarter algorithm discovered more
recently than the Unix program. Eliminate use of temporary files. Do
it in one pass instead of two (we did this in the assembler). "