Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2015 16:20:09 +0900
> Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> The next sacrifice is ARCNET. It seems it hasn't been
>> used for long years (7 years or more):
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2015/05/22/msg066175.html
>>
>> So I'm trying to remove them but the target files are
>> much more than I had expected (see the bellow diffstat).
>>
>> Please stop me if you want to keep the files.
>
> I don't have an Arcnet board and I don't know anybody using it, but
> on the Amiga there are not many options for network cards. If somebody
> happens to own an Arcnet board he would be happy to use it.
>
> What are the reasons behind removing working parts from the source tree
> anyway? Aren't there more important things to do?

We're working on making the network stack MP-safe and runnable in
parallel. That requires an overhaul of the entire source tree.
So we're cleaning up and refactoring the code first to prepare
later improvements. This attempt is a part of the goal.

I'm trying this removal because I had doubt it's working and it's
maintained by someone (see the above link). Please correct me if
I'm wrong. And of course if there is anyone using it, I'm pleased
to withdraw the proposal.

  ozaki-r