Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

rtr%netbsd.org@localhost (Tyler Retzlaff) writes:

>i don't think it's fair to say something is being destroyed here.

How would you express it, when someone removes code and refactors interfaces
so that the code cannot possibly work anymore. Putting it on a graveyard?

>if it's in use fine let's keep it. otherwise retiring the code is
>favorable and not doing so is burdensome with respect to re-factoring
>code that is in use.

There is lots of code that I wouldn't consider to be in use, but
the burden to maintain it has very little to do with looking at
the additional codelines. In fact, that mostly helps to create
more stable and versatile interfaces and abstractions.

Talking other people into even considering code changes or, beware,
testing them, that is a burden. And yes, just declaring things
to be "dead code" is much easier.

>if someone does decide later they want it then they can pull it out of
>the attic and fix it up?

Maybe they could import the Linux arcnet support then. Tracking
upstream can be so creative.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost