Re: refactoring ip_output() and the L2 _output()

On 26/05/15 05:42, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
Hi,

The mail subject may recall someone an old thread:
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2013/02/01/msg003847.html

Yes, I'm taking over the task :)

http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/refactor_l2_output.diff

The patch is basically the same as dyoung's patch with some
tweaks to make it work on -current; it gets rid of route
lookups from L2 output routines such as ether_output
and puts them between ip_output and L2 output routines.

One known issue of the change is that it adds an mbuf flag
to tell ether_output that mbuf is to be set MPLS ether
type. I don't think it's the best way but I don't have
another better approach for now.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
   ozaki-r

Hi there,

I have some questions/observations:

* This cod is generic enough to be linked apart from ip_output.c Maybe it can be reused by other protocols as well ? (hint nd6_output)
* did this patch passed the current net tests ?

Now about MPLS:

* I'm kinda reluctant in using flags to describe protocol specifics, maybe should use a tag for now instead of flags even if this interface is slower ? * I think flagging/tagging should also be used in mpls LSE - probably in send_frame. * and also in ip6 output path. I'll try to find time this week to write some tests for ip6/mpls - but you can test using route. * mpls/gre needs also to be hacked because it uses the same test (have to write a test for mpls+gre, too)

Thanks

--
Mihai