Re: Auto-generate module-loadable syscall table?

On Fri, 8 May 2015, Christos Zoulas wrote:

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.1505081756290.25140%vps1.whooppee.com@localhost>,
Paul Goyette  <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:
I've just noticed that the table in sys/kern/kern_syscall.c is not
generated from the kern/syscalls.master file.

Is there some reason why kern/Makefile isn't used to create the table at
the same time as creating the other various syscall-related sources?

How would you do that? See if the name contains, _aio_, _lio_, compat etc?

Well, there's already a MODULAR keyword for kern/makesyscalls.sh so it doesn't seem to be so difficult to possibly add one more parameter to those lines (to identify the name of the containing module). Then the MODULAR syscalls could all be listed in a new generated source file (perhaps kern/syscalls_autoload.h) and be included whereever neeeded (for now, that means kern/kern_syscall.h AFAICT).

Or am I totally misunderstanding this comment from kern/Makefile?

	MODULAR:attempt to autoload system call if not present

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |