Re: Note entry types (core dumps)

> Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM
> From: "Joerg Sonnenberger" <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>
> To: tech-kern%netbsd.org@localhost
> Subject: Re: Note entry types (core dumps)
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 01:45:13PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> > From what I can see these numbers are standardized across systems (Linux, FreeBSD).
>
> Not really.
>
> > I need libunwind (a dependency of quite few runtimes) for NetBSD and I just landed here.
>
> I still maintain that any runtime depending on HP's libunwind is broken.
> But people don't want to listen.

Well, I added support for NetBSD in a piece of software, in the critical part it was using
mostly the ptrace(2) interface... it was a real mess, because the same kernel and different
CPU on some platforms can result in different APIs.. so I can understand why people
prefer to have the mess abstracted in a building block and not implementing it locally.

I'm not experienced in runtime development, so I cannot judge whether all that is needed:

http://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/docs.html

Can you propose an alternative to making libunwind work on NetBSD?

> > At least partial implementation doesn't look too heavy.
>
> I've been there. It's a mess.

OK, For now it's not a critical feature and my runtime doesn't make use of it.