Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

On Mar 16,  3:59am, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

| > You are right, but it makes it cheaper for us to maintain things
| > in the long run and improves consistency and robustness.
|
| IMO we should rather focus on marketing than consistency for developers...

Can you please expand? I don't understand how marketing helps existing
developers.

| > I don't think that we are going to be getting new users from the
| > sun2 or sun3 ports... And even if we do, these are the "expert"
| > users who will help us debug the problem.
|
| You should re-read PRs.  There were much more ports that failed on 6.0.

I just see the following having ipty still. Either many more are broken
and are not used by anyone, or they work:

etc.hp300/MAKEDEV.conf: makedev ipty
etc.i386/MAKEDEV.conf:  makedev ipty
etc.landisk/MAKEDEV.conf:       makedev ipty
etc.luna68k/MAKEDEV.conf:       makedev ipty ttya
etc.sbmips/MAKEDEV.conf:        makedev ipty
etc.sgimips/MAKEDEV.conf:       makedev ipty
etc.vax/MAKEDEV.conf:   makedev std bpf md0 ipty mt0 st0 rd0 rd1 dz0 dl0 dhu0

| If you changed PTYFS mandatory for sysinst and
| you forget to add file-system PTYFS to some installation
| kernel config files, the similar failures could happen.

Yes, there is a bunch of config lines that are mandatory per port.
Same if you don't put COMPAT_BSDPTY.

| In pre-6.0 days, we tried to fix all installation MAKEDEV targets,
| but actually it failed.  "It's easier said than done."

I agree, but it can be done.

christos