Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

On Mar 15,  4:47pm, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

| Well, "old code eliminations" gives nothing to users.

You are right, but it makes it cheaper for us to maintain things
in the long run and improves consistency and robustness.

| I would rather like to see a proper migration plan
| how to eliminate it without regressions, especially on install.
| (If installation fails we won't get possible new users)

I don't think that we are going to be getting new users from the
sun2 or sun3 ports... And even if we do, these are the "expert"
users who will help us debug the problem.

| In pre-6.0 days compat pty nodes were removed
| from MAKEDEV all target without annoucement, then
| a certain number of Tier-II users failed to install
| on their favorite machines with unclear "openpty() failed"
| messages during installation.
|
| One possible kludge is adding "file-system PTYFS" into conf/std,
| but I don't think we can make consensus with it.

Or go and add it to all the install kernels (as I mentioned before).
There is no precedence for adding filesystems to conf/std.

christos