Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

On Mar 14,  4:50am, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

| christos@ wrote:
|
| > | 3. fallback to mount ptyfs via direct mount(2) in sysinst only when
| > |    openpty(3) fails, so that poor Tier II ports still use old way
| > |    without file-system PTYFS and we don't have to touch a number of
| > |    crunch lists to add mount_ptyfs(8). That's what my PR/47774 intended.
| >
| > I was trying to avoid carrying over the old pty code around forever,
| > and having all the ports doing it in a unified way.
|
| It sounds a bit paranoiac (i.e. best or nothing strategy) for me.

No, I just think that all ports should run with ptyfs during normal
use, so why not during installation.

| > I guess it does
| > not matter too much for the installer, but it does add complexity...
| > I think if you remove COMPAT_BSDTTY and just have PTYFS the code is
| > only a few K larger.
|
| - there are so many ramdisk lists
| - some ports still have 1440KB restriction due to installation floppy

These are detected during build...

| - few people will bother to maintain such lists just for installer
|
| The point of my PR is "unfortunately we always lack man power,"
| as no one have take a look at the problem even after 6.0.
|
| If you can sweep all image list files and kernel config files
| without regressions, it's fine for me.

There is no way to test many of those things. What I was suggesting was:

1. kill ipty from all the MAKEDEV lists
2. add mount(PTYFS) to sysinst.
3. add file-system PTYFS to all the kernels.

If the floppies fit, then it has a good chance to work... What can go wrong?
(famous last words)

christos