Re: pserialize(9) vs. TAILQ

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Taylor R Campbell
<campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
>    Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:11:18 +0800
>    From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis.c.ferguson%gmail.com@localhost>
>
>    On 19 Nov, 2014, at 01:53 , Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
>    > The one tricky detail is that after a reader has fetched the tqe_next
>    > pointer, it must issue a membar_consumer before dereferencing the
>    > pointer: otherwise there is no guarantee about the order in which the
>    > CPU will fetch the tqe_next pointer and its contents (which it may
>    > have cached).
>
>    I don't think it is correct to use a membar_consumer().
>
> It is certainly /correct/.  It may not be /necessary/ in some
> architectures that provide more guarantees about load ordering than
> are written in the program without membar_consumer.

By reading and comparing your opinions, I come to think that membar is
not necessary to safely traverse the protected data structure
(tqe_next pointers).  It is the minimal requirement of pserialize(9)
"update" section (mutex_enter() ... pserialize_perform()) that the
protected data is updated atomically and kept topologically consistent
to prevent readers from seeing corrupted data (pointers).  Some
readers may see the stale/old tqe_next, but it is OK at this point.

In practice, there must be a membar around for readers to see the
updated data; but such a membar is not always relative to tqe_next.
Maybe it is, maybe not, only users (of pserialize(9)) know.  Putting
membars around TAILQ is too excessive.

For example, consider struct ifnet.  It will have a reference count to
take a reference in a pserialize(9) critical section.  Reference count
is incremented by atomic_inc_*, which might imply membar on some
archs.

When adding a new ifnet, part of its content, promised as constant in
the protected list (e.g. if_name), must be filled before being
inserted and visible via the list.  In this case, write to if_name is
relative to tqe_next.

>    Since most machines don't need any barrier here it would be extremely
>    inefficient to add a membar_consumer() since that would make all machines
>    pay for the idiosyncrasies unique to the DEC Alpha.
>
> We could invent a membar_datadep_consumer for this case, and make it a
> no-op on everything other than Alpha until another CPU designer
> relaxes the memory ordering.  The intent of the code is clearer with
> the memory barrier, and it emphasizes the need for a paired
> membar_producer elsewhere.

I thought alpha sync op implementations imply instruction ordering ...
but maybe I'm too optimistic. :)