Re: Re HDMI transmitter interface

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 07:15:00PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
>>
>> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> >I made some progress on the TDA19988 HDMI transmitter driver as
>> >found in the beaglebone black (doens't work yet, sorry :).
>> >The driver will attach directly to the i2c bus, because other
>> >devices are also connected to this bus (eeprom, the power managenent IC, and
>> >more depending on connected capes). Then the TDA19988 driver and the
>> >video drivers have to talk together: the TDA19988 driver knows when a
>> >monitor is connected/disconnected and also can read the EDID, and
>> >the video driver knows which mode to select.
>>
>> Had you considered using the drmkms code for this SoC ?
>
>No, I though drmkms was x86 only.

It can be used on any architecture.

>> Current Linux sources have a driver for the display and for this HDMI
>> transmitter.
>>
>> They were added to Linux after the last import that riastradh@ made so
>> are not in the NetBSD tree yet.
>
>What is the licence of this code ? I think it's a case where it would be
>better to avoid the GPL.

I had not checked the licence when I wrote the original email, it is
GPL v2 and I agree that we wouldn't want it in tree.

Both bits were written by the same person (at TI), maybe ask if they
would dual licence it.

The drm code is licenced under mixture of BSD and GPL. The core stuff
and mass market GPU drivers are BSD, more recent SoC drivers look to
be mostly GPL.

We might want a plan for how to do framebuffers and X11 across all the
SoCs. Do we stick to using wsfb and xf86-video-wsfb or recommend that
new ports use drmkms and either xf86-video-modeswitching or a more
specific X11 driver ?

Maybe take this to tech-x11 ?

Robert Swindells