Re: Tru64 AdvFS porting to NetBSD - 1. status 2014-09-17

On Sep 17, 2014, at 2:25 AM, Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is the first status of significant efforts of porting AdvFS [1] [2] to
> NetBSD.
>
> Long term primary goals:
> - complete port of AdvFS to NetBSD,
> - relicense the original work with for BSD-friendly license.

I tried to get HP to dual license it but at the time they didn't care.

> 1. What is done
> - Put all sbin, usr.sbin and lib files into the NetBSD tree

Please put the user part under external/<license>/{advfs or megasafe}/....

> - Add AdvFS user-space parts to initial Makefiles of build.sh
> - Add initial variable MKADVFS to stop or start building user-land pieces
> - Put kernel-space code into the tree (sys/fs/msfs/)

This should be in sys/external/<license>/{advfs or megasafe}/... like avobe

> - Add msfs (aka AdvFS) to the kernel build-machinery and include it for amd64
> kernel "ALL"
> - Adapted for NetBSD or nuked missing #includes of files from sys/fs/msfs

> 2. What is in progress
> - Party adapted locking dialect (mutex, krwmutex, condvar) for NetBSD (*)
> - List of compatibility patches adapting for modern GCC and NetBSD (*)
> - Researched and touched compatibility of catgen from NetBSD and Tru64

> 3. Issues
> - Missing subsystems from Tru64: evm.h, devio, overlap.h (added an empty
> stub), disklabel details (*)
> 4. Next steps
> - Tru64 Mach VM dialect porting to NetBSD UVM (*)
> 5. Pushed to NetBSD
> - Proposed <sys/clock.h> patch [3]
>
> (*) Considered significant effort and/or difficult.

Mostly adapting the dec osf1 ubc to the netbsd ubc.  It's been 2 decades since
I last in the dec osf1 tree.

> Help and motivation support is appreciated.

keep going.  i liked advfs back in the day.