How NFS keeps state for getdents()?

Hi

Retreiving a directory content through getdents() can split in multiple
calls. State is kept using the offset argument which tells where in the
directory listing buffer we want to start reading, and it is allowed to
use lseek() to move inside the directory listing buffer.

How does this handle the case when a directory entry is added or removed
between two getdents() calls? Is a directory listing cached and attached
to the file descriptor?

And how does this works in the NFS case? We do not even have file
descriptor here, just a file handle which let us retreive the vnode.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz