Re: Unallocated inode

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 03:01:01AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Sep 1,  2:54pm, stix%stix.id.au@localhost (Paul Ripke) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Unallocated inode
>
> | Running a second fsck pass comes up clean. What surprises me is that my
> | machine has been up ~100 days... I find it hard to believe that a power
> | loss or similar unclean shutdown would generate filesystem corruption
> | that could sit silent for that long before suddenly emerging.
>
> Great :-)
> With the size of the disks and filesystems these days you can end up not
> touch large portions of them for a long time. As to why you did crash
> when touch them, you were lucking. Finally this is probably a bug in
> WAPBL because it is supposed to maintain metadata file system integrity,
> but in this case it did not?

Yeah, that's what scares me - it was the daily rsync and security cron
jobs starting to generate errors that alerted me - those inodes must've
been marked partially allocated only recently. Makes me wish I dumped
out the contents of those two inodes before running the fsck (maybe
fsdb should be able to do that?).

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds
 discuss people."
-- Disputed: Often attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt. 1948.