Re: Is RCU now possible?

On Jul 30, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Dennis Ferguson wrote:

I was wondering if it is now possible to have a full RCU
implementation in the kernel?

I realize there used to be patent issues with this.  Wikipedia
lists the following US patents:

        5,608,893
        5,727,209
        6,219,690
        6,886,162

When I look at these, however, the first patent was filed in
1993 and should now be expired while the remaining three (according
to google patents) seem to have lapsed around 2010 when IBM failed
to pay the maintenance fee to extend them.

Is there anything else?

Dennis Ferguson

DISCLAIMER: You should neither take any actions nor refrain from any actions based on this general information.

You can obtain information regarding a status of a patent or patent application from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Public PAIR (Patent Application Information Retrieval) website:

http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

Public PAIR is where the following information was obtained.

Regarding U.S. Pat. No. 5,608,893:
    Filing or 371 (c) date:  06-07-1995
    Issue Date of Patent:  03-04-1997
    Status Date:  03-30-2009

Regarding U.S. Pat. No. 5,727,209:
    Filing or 371 (c) date:  11-01-1996
    Issue Date of Patent:  03-10-1998
    Status Date:  04-05-2010

Regarding U.S. Pat. No. 6,219,690:
    Filing or 371 (c) date:  11-01-1996
    Issue Date of Patent:  04-17-2001
    Status Date:  05-18-2009

Regarding U.S. Pat. No. 6,886,162:
    Filing or 371 (c) date:  07-31-1998
    Issue Date of Patent:  04-26-2005
    Status Date:  05-25-2009

Please keep in mind that these are U.S. patents.

Cheers,
   Ian Fink