Re: CVS commit: src/sys/kern

In article <53D22353.9090508%M00nBSD.net@localhost>,
Maxime Villard  <max%M00nBSD.net@localhost> wrote:
>Le 23/07/2014 21:51, Greg Troxel a écrit :
>>
>> I realized that two things can be separated.  One is whether DIAGNOSTIC
>> turns on features that increase the size of memory allocations, which is
>> my real concern.  The other is whether the KMEM_SIZE and KMEM_REDZONE
>> should be on by default in -current on various architectures, which is I
>> think your primary concern.  On i386 and amd64, it may well be that the
>> performance change is not really noticeable.   But increasing memory
>> sizes on small-memory architectures is something else.
>
>What are these small-memory architectures?

vax, shark, m68k and the list goes on. I think that the request is
reasonable.  It gives more flexibility rather than one size fits
all and lets the portmasters choose the appropriate behavior for
their ports. Currently the following machines have GENERIC kernels
with DIAGNOSTIC on:

$ fgrep DIAGNOSTIC */conf/GENERIC | grep -v :#
amd64/conf/GENERIC:options      DIAGNOSTIC      # expensive kernel consistency
checks
cobalt/conf/GENERIC:options     DIAGNOSTIC      # extra kernel sanity checking
i386/conf/GENERIC:options       DIAGNOSTIC      # expensive kernel consistency
checks
ia64/conf/GENERIC:options       DIAGNOSTIC      # expensive kernel consistency
checks
mvmeppc/conf/GENERIC:options    DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency
checks
shark/conf/GENERIC:options      DIAGNOSTIC      # internal consistency checks
sparc64/conf/GENERIC:options    DIAGNOSTIC      # extra kernel sanity checking
zaurus/conf/GENERIC:options     DIAGNOSTIC              # internal consistency
checks

christos