Re: RFC: IRQ affinity (aka interrupt routing)

Hi martin,

Thank you very much for your comment.

(2014/07/25 18:15), Martin Husemann wrote:
A few general comments:

  - best UI is no UI - the kernel should distribute interrupts automatically
    (if possible) as fair as possible over time doiing some statistics

I agree the computer should distribute interrupts automatically, but
I think balancing interrupts is too complex for the kernel. So I think
the balancing should be done by the userland daemon which use the UI.
Implementing and tuning the userland daemon are future works.

  - a UI to wire some device interrupts to a special CPU would be ok,
    I prefer a new intrctrl for that

  - vmstat -i could gain an additional column with the current target cpu
    of the interrupt

I am afraid of breaking backward compatibility, so I avoid to change
existing commands.

  - the device name is nice, but what about shared interrupts?

I forgot shared interrupts... In the current implement, the device name
is overwritten by the device established later. Of course this is ugly,
so I must fix it.

Thanks,

Internet Initiative Japan Inc.

Device Engineering Section,