Re: Enhance ptyfs to handle multiple instances.

   Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 14:40:50 +0000 (UTC)
   From: christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas)

   In article <20140314143532.GA17867%britannica.bec.de@localhost>,
   Joerg Sonnenberger  <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
   >Actually, it would simplify things a lot if /dev/ptmx was a symlink to
   >/dev/pts/ptmx. The ptyfs instance could assign a unique minor number per
   >instance and use that to associate the instance with the correct mount
   >point.

   Yes, except that ptmx is supposed to work without ptyfs, but I guess that
   nobody uses it this way anymore.

We could install a symlink at /dev/ptmx pointing to pts/ptmx, and we
could install a device node at /dev/pts/ptmx, which gets hidden by the
ptyfs mount if you use ptyfs.  That way the non-ptyfs case still works
and the ptyfs case enables multi-instance goodies.