Re: Enhance ptyfs to handle multiple instances.

On Mar 14,  6:49pm, netbsd%izyk.ru@localhost (Ilya Zykov) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: Enhance ptyfs to handle multiple instances.

| > We first need to decide if disclosing gaps in the pty number is a security
| > issue. If not, it is simple; we just allocate the next free one and we don't
| > care about gaps. I.e. first mount can grab 0,1,2,3,5,6 second mount can grab
| > 4,7,8 etc.
|
| It introduces limits.

How so?

| > I think that this is not very desirable because it again introduces limits
| > to the number of ptys per mountpoint.
|
| I don't understand how?

if the first mount can only have [0..n-1] the second [n...2*n] etc...

| Ok.
| One remark: mount one instance more than one time useless, because, which
mount point must return TIOCPTMGET in this case?
| Maybe I don't understand fully NetBSD pty layer realization yet.

If they point to the same device and they are both reachable, it does
not matter. If you are inside a chroot, then a reachable one within the root.

christos