Re: rototilling the vnode life cycle

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 03:41:33PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
 > Nope.  After DESTROYING it gets freed.  The protocol is this:
 >
 > 1. When vfs decides to destroy a vnode, it enters DESTROYING.
 > 2. During this time, vget returns ENOENT for it.
 > 3. VOP_RECLAIM unhooks it from all data structures (e.g., ufs_ihash).
 > 4. Once VOP_RECLAIM returns, nobody else will even try to vget it.
 > 5. vfs vnfrees the vnode.
 >
 > That said, I made vnfree change its state to UNINITIALIZED so that
 > anything trying to use-after-free will crash.

For this to work, the inode must be synced before it enters the
DESTROYING state. Otherwise you get this fun exciting race:

    vp becomes inactive
    vfs decides to destroy vp
    vp's state is now DESTROYING
        someone else looks up this inode
        vget returns ENOENT
        a new vnode nvp is created and loaded
    VOP_RECLAIM is called
    vp gets synced

and now nvp is wrong.

If I'm reading the ffs code correctly it doesn't do the final stuff
until reclaim. But I might not be.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost