Re: The lamentation of proplib(3)

On Jan 28,  7:40pm, Christian Koch wrote:
} On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 06:44:57PM +0000, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
} > and my own dissatisfaction has reached the point where I decided to raise
} > the question.  The question of replacing proplib(3) with a better library.
} > There were ideas by some developers to write a new library from scratch.
} > The FreeBSD project has recently developed a general purpose key-value pair
} > library, which is quite similar to nvpair library in Solaris.
}
} Isn't proplib(3) quite heavily used throughout the system, both
} kernel space and user space?  It won't be a trivial task to fully

     It is.

} make this change, is all I'm saying.

     Definitely.  Also, nvlist doesn't address one of the significant
uses of proplib.

} I say don't get rid of proplib(3) entirely, how about moving it
} to pkgsrc at least?

     Something that is heavily used throughout the system can not
be moved to pkgsrc.  Pkgsrc is an addon, not part of the base
system.  Thus nothing in the base system can be dependent upon
pkgsrc to function.

}-- End of excerpt from Christian Koch