Re: posix message queues and multiple receivers

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 06:08:23PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> >i see slowness from multiple clients when i run nfsd with just
> >one thread.  i've never seen the problem dsl has seen with a
> >netbsd nfs server (only other problems! :-)
>
> I agree. I think it's nonsense. The idea that dsl have is that having
> several I/O requests running in parallel against one server would cause
> starvation on I/O in one thread because the others keeps the disk busy.
> However, that assumes that I/O gets reordered, and that this reordering
> can actually cause some I/O to get starved for long enough that NFS
> times out and retries.

I've seen in on two different systems with different OS.
NFS/TCP probably doesn't suffer - assuming it doesn't run timeouts
at either the NFS or RPC layers.

The LAN traces for the first one were absolutely horrid.
Someone had NFS mounted an IDE disk on an i386 (ok - might have been
a i486) that would have been using 8 bit PIO from one of our much faster
sparc systems.
They then tried to write a large file. This generated a lot of concurrent
8k NFS writes as the buffer cache got cleared.
I believe that the disk driver on the server selected the disk transfers
using the 'elevator' algorithm. Since the writes were for more or less
sequential sectors, as soon as they got out of sequence one of the write
requests would have to wait until all the others completed.
The other 3 nfsd processes keep finding requests and the disk heads
keep movng in the same direction.
Once the RPC transfer times out all hell breaks loose.

Run one nfsd and it all runs smoothly.
Two might also be ok.

The second timne I saw similar nfs issues we just reduced the number of
servers and the problems went away.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost