Re: [patch] changing lua_Number to int64_t

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Justin Cormack
<justin%specialbusservice.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Lourival Vieira Neto
> <lourival.neto%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Well, I don't think I fully understood that; mainly because I'm not
>> aware about Lua 5.3. It will provide two number types for the scripts?
>> Or you are just talking about lua_Integer type on the C-side. Lua 5.1
>> already has a lua_Integer type that is defined as ptrdiff_t.
>
> Yes that is correct, so 2 will be integer and 5.3 float, operations
> will be defined in terms of how they convert, so there will be int and
> float division. The draft manual is here
> http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html (see 3.4.1). This will not
> happen for a while, but it will make it much easier in future for
> interfaces like the kernel that need 64 bit int support, which is why
> it is being implemented. So not being compatible with this seems a
> mistake.

Humm.. I think that §2.1 brings a good argument: "Standard Lua uses
64-bit integers and double-precision floats, (...)". I think that
would not hurt to stick to the future standard; once 64 bit is good
enough for kernel purposes.

Regards,
--
Lourival Vieira Neto