Re: hf/sf [Was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/misc/raspberrypi-userland]

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 07:47:20PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> matt%3am-software.com@localhost (Matt Thomas) writes:
>

> >On Nov 11, 2013, at 10:08 PM, Michael van Elst
> ><mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> >> The "slowdown" is already enormous due to lack of floating point
> >> hardware. That's why emulating the FP hardware is a very common
> >> way to handle this situation, just look at the other platforms.
>
> >The exception handling is much costlier than doing a softfloat call.
>
> You missed the second paragraph.
>
> >It?s also adding kernel bloat.
>
> Indeed, a little bit of kernel bloat compared to a dozen userlands
> and a dozen package repositories that require building and testing.

Yes - I didn't measure current arms in that respect, but I did try
to add the M68060 missing FP instruction emulation package to libm
and compare to the kernel trap version a couple of years ago.

The kernel trap version turned out to be faster - I guessed because
of less (physically indexed) cache trashing.

        -is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/