Re: zero-length symlinks

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 09:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 2013, David Holland wrote:
>
> > rmind@ points out that it's possible to create zero-length symlinks.
> > As zero-length symlinks aren't sensible, this should probably be
> > prohibited. Does anyone see any reason they shouldn't be?
>
> Prohibiting them seems reasonable to me - I cannot imagine any sensible
> use of zero-length symlinks.

I'm pretty sure I once used it in a test case to check for ENOENT
leading to the needed behaviour, without having to make sure the tested
file really wasn't present. Only afterwards did I discover it's not
portable, so I had to change it anyway. But is there any reason to
disallow it?

kind regards
dieter