Re: high load, no bottleneck

Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

>      async   Assume that unstable write requests have actually been committed
>              to stable storage on the server, and thus will not require
>              resending in the event that the server crashes.  Use of this
>              option may improve performance but only at the risk of data loss
>              if the server crashes.  Note: this mount option will only be hon-
>              ored if the nfs.client.allow_async option in nfs.conf(5) is also
>              enabled.

I tried moving a client NFS mount to async. The result is that the
server never sees a filesync again from that client.

What are the consequences? I understand that if I use -o log
server-side, I will still benefit regular flushes. I will loose the
guarantee that client fsync(2) push data to stable storage, but I will
not have corrupted files on server crash. Is that right?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz