Re: Booting with dk0 root

john%ziaspace.com@localhost (John Klos) writes:

>Apparently we can't compile a kernel with netbsd root on dk0 type ffs
>because dk0 isn't something the kernel knows about until later. How does
>one use a gpt wedge as a root filesystem? I'm loading the kernel from a
>CompactFlash but would like the root filesystem to be on a 4 TB drive.

The kernel itself deduces the root disk from the boot device,
this is heavily machine dependent. If what it finds is also
represented by an autodetected wedge, it will use that wedge.

The wedge then may or may not be dk0, depending on scan and
partition order. But you can use the wedge name to identify
it in /etc/fstab.