Re: NFS over-quota not detected if utimes() called before fsync()/close()

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 04:44:17PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 11:31:30AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>  > With NFS, write() can't return EDQUOT unless the write is synchronous.
>  > per the man page, fsync() isn't allowed to return EDQUOT either.
>
> "allowed"
>
> I hope that it would if that's the error that happened, rather than
> pretending to succeed.

It does probably (I didn't test). But I would expect close() to do an
implicit fsync() as well, and return the error if the implicit fsync()
didn't succeed (but still closing the file). As I already mentionned,
linux behaves this way, and I guess applications expects this behavior.