fxp link toggles with multicast filters

Hi,

I am observing a link toggle when multicast filters are added/removed to the
fxp(i82557) driver. My application is using SIOCADDMULTI/SIOCDELMULTI ioctl's
for adding/removing multicast filters.

On debugging the issue, figured out that fxp_init is called after filters are
changed which in turn invokes fxp_stop. In case of MII, fxp_stop invokes
function mii_down which brings down the phy and a toggle is observed.

Is there any way to avoid the phy from going down and for what reasons
mii_down is invoked?

Thanks,
~Manjul