Re: Broadcast traffic on vlans leaks into the parent interface on NetBSD-5.1

> I'm also trying hard, but failing, to ignore the issue which revealed
> the current problem, that being having an application as important as
> a DHCP client needing to use BPF to send and receive UDP packets
> rather than using the host's own UDP/IP code for that.

I'm not sure I'd call that an issue, because...

> I believe every use of BPF by an application to send and receive
> protocol traffic is a signal that something is missing in the host's
> network implementation, so its use by as important an application as
> a DHCP client seems like a sign that what is missing in this case is
> quite important.

...in general, I agree, but in the case of DHCP, I'm not so sure.  It
needs to send and receive packets to and from unusual IPs (0.0.0.0, I
think it is), if nothing else.

                                        Mouse